Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Arizona Support Group

A month and a half after JD died, Josh and I went to a support group at the hospital where JD was born. I'm not sure why I wanted to go to it. It's not like me to want to be in any type of a group or think that I need help. But, I had a really strong urge to to attend and I'm so glad I did! There I met other mothers and fathers that had lost a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or infant loss. My heart broke to hear their stories, but I also learned from them. I learned that I loved talking about JD where it didn't make other people uncomfortable, I loved hearing other people say JD's name and being known as JD's mom. I learned I could find ways to honor and remember JD and that I didn't have to be ashamed of his short life. I learned that all my irrational and angry thoughts weren't that irrational and that all the thoughts I was having were ok to have. I made friends that I never wanted to meet and joined a special club no mother should ever have to join.

There were 6 of us from that support group that all got pregnant again and that brought us all a different bunch of mental issues! So, we created our own support group for pregnancy after loss. Those 5 ladies helped me through two really difficult times and I will always remember them and their special angel babies! When we moved from Arizona I was more sad to leave them than anything else!

This picture is of two of them, Stacey Betz and her husband Peter and Mylda Carrillo who is holding Triston.

No comments:

Post a Comment